Hey Dad, I love this aspect of Jesus’ life and ministry. When Jesus showed up folks took action. In the first chapter of Mark, there are eight instances where folks took action ‘immediately’ or ‘at once’ in response to Jesus. And, it started with the shepherds. An angel of the Lord appeared and announced the birth of the Savior, “For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Savior, who is Christ the Lord. And this will be a sign for you: you will find a baby wrapped in swaddling cloths and lying in a manger… “Let us go over to Bethlehem and see this thing that has happened to us.” And they went with haste..
Move Quickly! – Manger Build Devotion for Saturday, December 22 from Mike Young on Vimeo.
See, it started with the shepherds response to the announcement of Jesus birth. Jesus moves people to action. The frustrating thig is that that too many families and churches move like snails when it comes to responding to the Christ. Let’s change that!
So, Dad, here’s a fun challenge for today. Share this reality of responding to Christ ‘immediately’ and lead your family to think about something you could do ‘right now’ that would allow you to share the story of Jesus with someone. Brainstorm some ideas…. Here are some starters…
- Go rake someone’s leaves
- Go Christmas caroling in your neighborhood
- Go take some cookies or goodies to a neighbor or friend
- Go visit a shut-in from your church or in your community
- Go to a nursing home and sing some Christmas carols or read the Christmas story
- Go find a homeless person and give him or her a gift
- Go to Wal-Mart and purchase some gift cards to give out to customers in the store
- Take some hot coffee or hot chocolate to someone who’s working outside
- Go pay for a stranger’s meal at a restaurant
- Go buy some fast food gift cards and give them to others
- Go visit a neighbor and ask if there’s anything you could do to serve them
- Go wash someone’s car
Remember, the idea here is to Go, do something quickly as a family. But here’s the catch. Make sure you tell them why you are doing this. Better yet, let the kids explain that you’re learning about the Christmas story and are responding to Jesus just like the shepherds did. You’re moving quickly! Bonus points if you ask them if they’ve every responded to Jesus.
Now, one last thought here. As you process this experience with your family, talk with them about how you have responded to Jesus in your life. How did place your faith in Him? Have you ever made a life decision simply because you knew God was urging you to change direction? Share your story about responding to Jesus. This is a perfect opportunity!
Look ahead to tomorrow…