There has been much talk about ‘toxic masculinity’ in the past year with more emphasis in the past few weeks…
Here are just a couple of items…
- The APA just released ‘Guidelines for the Psychological Practice with Boys and Men’.
- Toxic was the Oxford Dictionary word of the year… with masculinity being the word second most frequently defined as toxic.
- A Google search of the term produces 10,600,000 results that wander all over the place.
No question, ‘toxic masculinity’ is an issue. But it’s not a new issue.
Rogue guys have been around since the beginning of time. The tendency for destructive behavior is a challenge for each of us. Remember God’s warning to Cain… sin is crouching at your door. It’s desire is contrary to you, but you must rule over it. Genesis 4:7b
Thankfully, God provided a way for us to respond to this dilemma. Christ is our model for true manhood.
When we place our faith in Jesus and begin to walk with him. He becomes our example and empowers us to live out true manhood.
Have this mind among yourselves, which is your’s in Christ Jesus, who, though he was in the form of God, did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped, but emptied himself, by taking the form of a servant, being born in the likeness of men. And being found in human form, he humbled himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross. Philippians 2:5-8
Here’s a challenge for you this weekend… pick up your Bible and read several chapters in one of the gospel accounts.
As you read, take particular notice of Jesus’ actions, attitudes and words.
- How does he treat others?
- How does he confront injustice?
- How does he lead?
- What are his priorities?
- What does he say and how does he speak?
- Who and why does he confront?
- When and why does he remove himself from situations?
Let’s walk with Christ by studying his life in the scriptures and let’s lead others to him by following his example of true manhood.